The industrial world is constantly facing new challenges. Especially the consequences of the pandemic that has been going on for several years have highlighted and accelerated this – from the lack of skilled workers and uncertainty in the supply chain to customers’ desire for more individualization and the growing pressure to have to produce more sustainably and flexibly. Many companies from a wide range of industries are therefore looking for new possibilities to increase their productivity and competitiveness in the long term. Digitalization and automation are the decisive game changers here for mastering these challenges on the way to Industrie 4.0.
At Fraunhofer IESE, for example, a solution for the future has been developed with the open-source Industrie 4.0 middleware BaSyx, which enables companies to individually exploit the potential of digitalization and Industrie 4.0.
Typical application scenarios are:
- Increase of flexibility / changeability in production
- Reduction of unplanned downtime and downtime costs
- Increase of the availability of machines and plants
- Stable supply of pre-products
- Increase of production quality
- Reduction of commissioning costs