Autonomous systems have enormous potential to contribute decisively to the solution of the current ecological, social, and economic challenges. With its “Autonomous Systems” program, Fraunhofer IESE is making a significant contribution to fully exploiting the diverse potential.
The application fields are very broad and range from autonomous driving via autonomous manufacturing lines to medicine and nursing care:
- Autonomous systems make it possible to design road and rail transport in a more ecological, safer, and more efficient way.
- By using them, companies can make work and production processes more flexible and more efficient.
- In agriculture, they can lead to higher yields and, at the same time, reduced use of fertilizers, and can thus contribute to better alignment between ecology and economy.
- In the energy transition, energy management can be optimized with the help of the cognitive capabilities of autonomous systems.
- They can counteract the shortage of skilled workers in many areas such as construction, freight and passenger transport, medicine, and nursing care, despite the demographic change.