Protecting data – retaining control! Data usage control with IND²UCE
In company networks, sensitive data is continuously stored, processed, and exchanged through distributed services, processes, and employees. Assuring the security of your intellectual property or your private data goes far beyond simple access control. Even if access has been granted, you want to retain control over the use and dissemination of your digital assets. This is what we call data usage control (IND²UCE).
The idea behind data usage control is that the originator of the data must always know and be able to control what happens with their data. To enable this, data usage control extends the traditional mechanisms of access control to allow controlling data usage at runtime.
Integrated and secure implementation of data usage control is not limited to technical issues alone, however. Aiming, in particular, to align security with business processes and quality properties such as usability, our research increasingly focuses on the human factor.
Our research areas
- Possibilities to enforce data usage control
- Policy languages for describing requirements of data usage control
- Evaluation and optimization of the usability of security solutions, in particular
- Easy-to-use editors for specifying security policies
- Privacy Dashboards for transparency and self-determination for end users
- Dynamic adaptation of security rules through context sensitivity and Machine Learning
- Detection and protection of sensitive data by means of Machine Learning